Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Now That’s More like It

So yesterday I went for a run after work.  Well initially I went to the gym thinking about how I had forgotten my earmuffs and was resigning myself to the fact that I was going to run on the treadmill for about 25 minutes and be bored.  When I arrived at the gym all of the good treadmills were in use.  We have newer ones with LCD displays and old ones with like red dot displays, I hate the old ones.

Upon seeing that I would have to use one of the old treadmills I decided that I would be running outside.  It was windy and snowy outside, I ran with a hoodie on as usual, this time though the hood was up and drawn tight.  The 5k route up at the Wellness Centre is three laps and a bit to do a complete 5k and it was snowing so hard that by the time I had done a lap my foot prints were covered over from the lap before.  The traction proved good though and I was able to keep up a good pace despite that it was the end of the day and blowing snow.

I did this 5k in 24:21, still longer than any of my times in the summer, but I’m ok with it, winter running is a work in progress and I’m just happy to be seeing that progress.  I’m quite happy to have my time down 2 1/2 minutes from the first measured run, and at least in a comparable realm as the summer runs.  If I can have a winter run time even close to my summer times, then this summer meeting that 20 minutes 5k goal should prove quite plausible.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris! So many times when I was annoyed to find the machine I wanted or the fitness area taken, I embarked on "the road less traveled" with interesting results.

    For example, I found that the rubbery floor of one part of the gym actually made certain yoga poses much easier to do, because of no sliding out with feet. I would have never learned that, except that my normal exercise area was full and I had to find a new place.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete