Thursday, January 5, 2012

Warrior Dash

The date for the Ontario version of the Warrior Dash is out (and apparently has been for a while) and I now have a goal date for even more fitness! 

Last year I was doing some running and trying to get to a good time for a 10k run in less than three months at that.  This year I have six months to prepare for an all out 5K sprint over, under and through obstacles.

My best 5K (well 5.2K to be exact) time last year ended up being 23:05 which was at a pace of 1K for every 4:26.  Not too shabby if I do say so myself. This year and specifically by July 21st I want that time to be as close to twenty minutes or less as I can possibly get.  This I think is going to be something that is quite difficult and will mean pushing my body harder than I have yet.

How am I going to do this?  I have no idea.  Training to run a longer distance was easy, just run even longer distances.  Now I suppose I’m going to have to do a lot more interval training and many more specialized types of things with the idea of generating more speed over a short distance instead of being more endurance focused.

My goal for the race is simple: I want to win my age category.

While I have only found out about the date this week it has been something that has been on my mind for the last while.  I have done a few runs at the gym on the treadmill, which I hate.  It’s boring, I can’t take as long of strides as I do outside (or at least I feel like I can’t) and I feel it takes more work to travel any distance, since my times for 5k on the treadmill are almost two minutes slower than outside.

However, there is snow on the ground and I refuse to run outside in the winter, it seems ridiculous to me, it’s freezing here!  Anyways, I’ll keep you up to date on the training.  Is anyone else thinking of doing this race?  It’s going to be Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment