Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mmmm Burger

So yesterday I was not feeling so great be decided that there were things to be done, and so, I did them.  I ran 10K yesterday morning, faster than my first 10K time last year but not my best time.  I went to karate, even though I missed most of the first class looking after the neighbours cat.  Poor Rascal looked to be in bad shape sitting under the car and I could not just leave him there.  I hope he is alright and I’m going to try to find that out today.  I also biked 32K while people were looking at out house.  All of this work deserves a good meal and so I had one.

A Juicy Lucy Burger.

What’s that you ask?  Well I saw it on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and decided that it looked amazing and wanted to be able to make it at home (it’s not hard).  I make hamburgers now at home with ground chicken.  The reasoning is simple, chicken has about half the calories of beef and less fat.  I don't necessarily have to have lower calorie meals all the time anymore, but this is one of the things that stuck after losing weight a couple of years ago.

So yeah a Juicy Lucy, you make two hamburger patties, as big and flat as possible.  I still aimed to use a reasonable amount of meat though.  Then you put cheese on top of one of the patties and seal over that cheese with the second patty so there is like a cheese pocket in the middle of the burger.  One the show the guy used process cheese, I grated cheddar cheese into mine.  I also had home fries, not deep fried.  Cut up and boil some potatoes so that they are just about cooked, drain them and toss them into the frying pan (hopefully non-stick) with a bit of margarine, salt and pepper) and you just fry them in the pan until the outside turn golden.  You still get that french fry kind of thing, but you are not soaking the potatoes in grease to do it.

Because I used about half a package of ground chicken to make my burger (a bit more than I usually would) the burger was about 500 calories including the bun and the home fries would be about 200. Yum!

 

2012-05-26 18.22.27

Chicken Juicy Lucy and Home Fries

2012-05-26 18.29.17

Mmm  Cheesy!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever drooled so much over a picture of a burger before!!

    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete