Saturday, July 23, 2011

From that day on, if I was ever going somewhere, I was running!

On my quest to be able to compete in this 10km Mudnewton I have upped my running distance to 8km this week, in doing so I changed my course entirely rendering any time comparison moot.

The new course was this:

running route2

I left home and went to Parkhill Rd. east to Reid, then South until Charlotte, West with a little detour to get up to Wallis, then North to Parkhill and then back to home.  Google maps said it was 8km and that’s good enough for me.  It was mostly uphill, so maybe not the best choice of route as a first outdoor attempt at 8km, but not impossible.

I did this run in 39:27  so 33 seconds faster than it took me to do 8km on the treadmill at the gym on Thursday.  Not too shabby I would say.  The initial 5km took longer than last weeks route by about a minute but considering that it is uphill  from E to H on the map (about 2.4 km) I’m ok with that.

A friend of mine asked me the other day “Did this stuff interest you before you lost the weight?” referring to things like the Mud Run and the Warrior Dash.  I replied that yes they would have interested me, but it would have been impossible for me to do them.  I do these things now because I can!

And why wouldn’t I do these things?  Why spend so much time at the gym and apply it meaningfully for one day grading to Black Belt when I can apply it to so many other aspects of my life.  That was a big part of the whole lesson in needing to get in shape for that grading.  Discover what you can really do!

I am just one example, but endeavour to find out what you are capable of doing if you remove the barriers your mind sets up around you.  Not only will you amaze yourself, but many people around you!

1 comment:

  1. Also uphill was H to I, B to C, C to D and parts of D to E. Yay, a course that is probably 70% uphill for the duration is likely great training!

    ReplyDelete