Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Ultimate Warrior?

It is now less than a week until the Warrior Dash takes place.  I have been gearing up for this day for over a year believe it or not.  Last summer a friend of mine was in the race, but I only found out about the whole thing two days before the event, Far too late for me to get in on the action.  That race day in June a year ago was the first time I went out running.

I’ve been in three races since, and now finally the Dash is on Saturday.

Am I ready?

Well, on the Warrior Dash website they have a bit of a workout guide and suggestions and all that for three different warrior types.  I would suggest that I fall under the Ultimate Warrior category:

Time to begin preparing for Warrior Dash so you can step on the guy doing push ups in the start corral and not scream for your Mom. You are the Ultimate Warrior - a 5K run is considered a mere warm-up and pain is viewed as a necessary component of any challenge. Your diet consists mainly of protein and your sheer athleticism causes Chuck Norris to tremble. To you, there's nothing like the smell of sweat at 6am on a Saturday. The term "fear" does not exist in your vocabulary. You don't want to run Warrior Dash - you want to win it.

Begin training five to six weeks before Warrior Dash. You should perform four to five of the listed exercises, five to six days a week. Make sure you cycle the strength exercises in order to achieve a full body workout. Read below for helpful gym and cardio timelines:

Strength Timeline:
Week 1-2: Pick your preferred four to five exercises and then perform each exercise for one minute, with a 30 second rest between exercises. Try to do as many reps as you can in that minute.
Week 3-4: Exercise for two minutes with 30 seconds rest between exercises. Do as many reps as you can in the two minutes.
Week 5-6: Exercise for two minutes with 30 seconds rest between exercises. Do as many reps as you can in the two minutes. Take two to three days off prior to Warrior Dash to ensure that your body is full prepared for the Battleground.

Cardio Timeline:

Complete a 45 minute cardio exercise after each workout.

I haven been at the gym for the last 2.5 years almost now so, the videos of things they have are not something that pose a problem for me and in fact I have done at one point or another almost all of those exercises.

Yesterday at the gym I met with Jodi to do another fitness assessment and to run our obstacle course again and the beep test.  The results are pretty much exactly what I had hoped for since our last assessment back in March and the change to my workout routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment