Monday, August 1, 2011

The Weekend

I have truly started to become my father’s son.  I am sure that two years ago he would have never guessed at this nor would I for that matter.  It struck me today as I pulled on my under armour shirt to go for a ride on my bike just how similar I am to him in certain aspects of life.

It stuck me then because I was choosing not to sit at home in front of the TV and play Batman Arkham Asylum (which I have beaten three times already).  18 months ago that would have been an ideal weekend day.  Sit at home, hiding from the sun and the heat outside and playing video games, but here I was venturing outside to ride my bike.

The weekends for me have become more like an endurance test.  This long weekend I have:

Saturday

  • Run 8km
  • 2 hours of karate
  • 27km bike ride

Sunday

  • 1.25 hours at the gym (arms)

Monday

  • 1.5 hours at the gym (legs)
  • Yard and deck work
  • 33km bike ride
  • 2 hours of karate to come yet

Last weekend was about the same except for that it was crammed into 2 days.  While these activities are mainly pushed by the short term goal of doing the Mudnewton they are very much as my father does.  Dad rides his bike now, when I lived at home it was canoeing or cross country skiing and each weekend he was working on something (mainly getting or splitting firewood).  I’ve taken the long route to getting there but I’m getting there and finding the pleasure in doing these types of tasks and activities, though I will like them a lot better in the fall than during the summer I am sure.

I try to do lots of things on the weekend, and I know it frustrates Amber that she has to be at work for the time being while I do all this stuff at home.  By this time next year hopefully we can be doing all this together.

As for being like my dad, I hope it comes to pass.  I have made a few mistakes here and there and they are ones that I doubt my dad ever made.  But there is no better standard to aspire to.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to the time together doing stuff we love.

    ReplyDelete