Friday, September 23, 2011

Priorities

I’ve mentioned the idea of creating the time for the gym and working out before, but at that time it was more of a pie in the sky, I only worked 2 part time jobs and went to school and everyone though it was a cinch for me to go to the gym kind of statement.  Well the idea showed its face to me again last night.

I had to stay a little longer at work than usual last night, which I really did not mind at all because I was hoping to see one mom in particular since one of the children in my group was not feeling well that day. So by the time I was leaving it was about a half hour later than I would have.  Now for a gym day this wouldn’t have been a big deal but I had signed up for some Professional Development out in Bowmanville that started at seven o’clock.

I had a choice to make.  I could, maybe, get to the gym and do my thing and if all went right be done at about six-thirty and just make it in time to the workshop, or I could choose to skip the gym, have dinner and then go and be early to the event.

Now you and I both know which one I chose.  And if you’ve read all the posts of this blog you likely can put together the pieces of why, but if you are new, maybe not.  Why is because there is only one person that’s going to go to the gym for me and do the work.  There will be other PD opportunities, I’m doing another on Monday actually.  But there are only so many days in a week, and for over a year I have made it a priority to get to the gym, or get outside and work to make my body do the things it has to do in order to be better than it was the day before.

So I went to the gym, I had lots of energy, I stormed through my first group of exercises and then the ‘if all went right’ thing blew up because college is just starting out and all the guys who want to impress the girls are busy pretending to use weights and stuff, so for each of my next two sets of things I have to find alternatives to using the bar that you use to do squats and such, and the rack wasn’t an option because some guy was actually using that.  That, and the set up of it and the moving of equipment set me back.  By the time I was done I wasn’t leaving the gym until about six-fifty, not nearly enough time to make a thirty-forty minute drive before seven.

Was I happy about that, not really.  But I stand by my choice, I think it was the right one.

1 comment:

  1. Some days at the gym are like that--everyone is using what you want to use. I make my original workout plan, but then have Plan B, Plan C, and at least a Plan D, so that I am not frustrated and I actually get a good workout.

    You made a good choice. If you don't squeeze the workout in somewhere, you'll end up like the majority of people who never work out. It's a slippery slope for busy people.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete